8 Ways to Empower Your People
KEY PRINCIPLE: THE KEY TO UNLEASHING YOUR GROUP’S POTENTIAL TO EXCEL IS PUTTING THE POWER TO DECIDE AND ACT INTO THE HANDS OF THE PEOPLE WHO PERFORM THE WORK.
The best leaders who coach, mentor and empower use these 8 strategies:
- Clarify expectations.
- Know what’s going on in their area.
- Encourage problem solving.
- Provide feedback on a regular basis.
- Look for opportunities to help people grow.
- Set a good example.
- Celebrate successes.
How well are you doing?
For Your Toolkit:
Keep a list of all the issues/decisions that end up with you. Go through the list and identify who else could handle any of them.
Ask each person on your team to make a list of decisions they feel they could be making without consulting you. Ask how you can empower others to do their jobs better, support them in doing their jobs, and make it easier for them to do their jobs.
Be sure all activities assigned have answers to these four questions:
- WHAT will be done?
- WHO will do it—and HOW will they be held ACCOUNTABLE?
- By WHEN will it be done?
- HOW will we know when we have done it successfully?